Frida's Flowers

Monday, September 05, 2016


This is what I'm making, sitting in the garden, enjoying the summer sun. It's all very much in progress but I hope to have it done before the next Stylecraft Crochet-Along (CAL) starts in a week's time or so. No pressure.


Piles and piles and piles of lovely crochet goodness, all coming together to make a small blanket throw.

I fell in love with Jane Crowfoot's Frida's Flowers Crochet Blanket some time ago, but couldn't find time nor inclination to work on such a large project. Besides, it is mostly black, navy and maroon and those are winter colours. You need bright things for the summer time, especially when you're surrounded by the pink and neon explosions of a toddler's favourite colours.

And then I saw another version of this hexagon blanket in a completely opposite colourway: cream, purple, pink, blue, green, peach. You can see it here on Ravelry. I couldn't resist, so I ordered in some bits and pieces and started building up a stash of colourful hexagons.

It was published as a Stylecraft Crochet Along (CAL), and the pattern installments are still free on their website here.


This is my first time working in Stylecraft Special DK (and in fact, my first time doing anything this scale in acrylic) and I love it! The yarn is squishy and soft, and works up easily on the hook. It is softer than expected and doesn't feel all that acrylic which really surprised me. It also cleans up really well; I've had to scrub off chocolate finger prints already. Not mine!

I'll post some photos of the individual hexagons soon. Just need to find my camera battery charger... it's in a box. Somewhere.

You Might Also Like

1 comments